Monday 9 March 2020

MONSTA X - All About Luv

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


All About Luv is MONSTA X's first full English album, this album was released after Wonho's departure from the group, but because the album was recorded before his departure, his vocals remain on all the tracks on the album, making this his final release with MONSTA X.
On the 14th of June 2019, their first English track Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana), was released digitally. Then on the 18th of June 2019, the M/V teaser for Who Do U Love? was released.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 21st of June 2019, the M/V for Who Do U Love? was released.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 20th of September 2019, MONSTA X's 2nd English single Love U was released digitally, later on the 4th of October 2019, they released their 3rd English single Someone's Someone digitally. On the 16th of October 2019, the M/V for Someone's Someone was released.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 5th of December 2019, MONSTA X announced their first English album All About Luv would be released on the 14th of February as a Valentine's day gift to MONBEBE. The next day on the 6th of December 2019, the M/V teaser for Middle of the Night was released, along with the M/V and the songs digital release.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records

Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 14th of February 2020, the All About Luv album teaser was released, along with the physical and digital release of the album.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 20th of February 2020, the lyric video was released for track Beside U (Feat. Pitbull).
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records
On the 27th of February 2020, the lyric video was released for track You Can't Hold My Heart.
Owned by Starship Entertainment & Epic Records

MONSTA X performed at various locations in and around LA on the day of the albums release, as well as holding meet-and-greets and Q&A sessions at Tower Records and The Roxy.

All About Luv debuted at No.5 on the Billboard 200, with 52,000 album-equivalent units, including 50,000 pure album sales. It's MONSTA X's first entry on the Billboard 200, and the highest entry by a K-pop act after BTS and SuperM.

Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Jooheon and I.M co-wrote on Who Do U Love?, Middle of the Night and Beside U, with all the members being credited with their real full names.

All About Luv peaked at No.18 on the Oricon Albums Chart and No.5 on the Billboard 200 Albums Chart.
Billboard Sales:
50,000+
Oricon Sales:
1,365+
Total albums sold so far is 51,365+
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for Who Do U Love? has gained 24,263,593 million views, while the M/V for Someone's Someone has gained 18,590,974 million views and the M/V for Middle of the Night has gained 5,671,406 million views.

All About Luv was released in 11 versions, with 7 normal editions, with 6 member covers and 4 deluxe photo book versions.
The normal editions are set out as a square hardback book style cases and come with the Cd, photo/lyric book, folded poster and group photo card, the photo books in all 7 of the normal editions are the same.
The deluxe photo book versions are set out as a paperback book style case and come with the Cd, photo book, lyrics and credit booklet, group poster, group photo card and 2 random member photo cards, the photo books for all 4 of the deluxe versions are also the same.

Track List:
Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana)
Love U
Happy Without Me
Got My Number
Someone's Someone 
Middle of the Night
She's the One
You Can't Hold My Heart
Misbehave
Beside U (Feat. Pitbull)
Bonus Track:
Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana) (Will.i.am Remix)













I made sure to pre-order my copy of the album before release day and I decided on a normal edition and went for Kihyun's cover. I was expecting the photo books for the member versions to be member specific, so was a little surprised when I found out all the normal edition photo book layouts were the same. I was also thinking about getting all 4 of the deluxe photo book versions, but after watching an unboxing and seeing that they too were all the same, I'm thinking of getting just one of those versions too. The album design and layout is pretty basic, it's your usual westernised album layout, I don't even think the photo's are top quality. As a k-pop fan and used to the amazing packaging the albums come with I was left a little disappointed and underwhelmed.
When it was announced that MONSTA X would be releasing an English album, I was left feeling a little nervous as I was scared they would lose something that makes them MONSTA X. On first listen I was left feeling underwhelmed as not one of the tracks had that signature MONSTA X sound, they were all more mellow. Upon hearing their description on how they wanted the album to be, I felt a little more comfortable with it, they're more known for their hard hitting tracks with hard and difficult choreography, and they wanted to release an album that sounded more sexy for their fans. While I have come to love the album, some of the tracks make me feel a little uncomfortable and that's just down to the lyrics.

I fell in love with Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana) as soon as I heard it on release day. I love the beat and melody of the music and it definitely allowed MONSTA X to show off a more sexy and sultry side to them. I love the line distribution and that we get to hear Jooheon sing, and step away from his usual raps, I love his adlibs. It's still a track that when it starts I fall in love with all over again.
Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana)

I think the beat for Love U is really simple which really helps the members voices to really stand out. When I first heard this song, the main thing that stood out for me was the chorus,but now I can't listen to the start of this song without going 'Simmer down'.
Love U

Happy Without Me was one of the songs that on first listen I wasn't really into, but the more I listened to it, the more I fell in love with it. I love Kihyun's voice in this song, as well as being in love with both Minhyuk and Hyungwon's voices, they sounded so soft. I personally feel like this song would originally be sung by either a woman or a female group, but they make it really work for them.
Happy Without Me

When I really pay attention to the lyrics for Got My Number I'm left feeling a little uncomfortable as I would never think that MONSTA X would sing a song about cheating or a possibility of an affair. I would love to say the songs concept is about a friendship between a man and a woman but, with the album being "All About Luv", I think it's safe to say it's not. Other than that the music, the vocals are really on point and it is a good song when you push past what the song is about.
Got My Number

I have to say Someone's Someone is one of my favourite tracks from the album, I love the melody, it leaves me feeling all soft inside. I love how soft all their voices are, I love how Kihyun and I.M harmonise in the chorus. The lyrics are breathtaking and I have to say my favourite verses have to be Hyungwon's and Minhyuk's, for me those verses are something I've never even thought about "So completely perfect, Perfect with no reasons, Reasons are for people you're meant to lose. Someone full of secrets, Secrets in the shadows, Shadows with excuses breaking through." My only disappointment with this song is that it's just way too short.
Someone's Someone

As soon as I heard Middle of the Night I was in love. I love everything about this song, but with it being released after Wonho's departure hit a little differently as it was the first time we got to hear his voice after the fact, I think what really warmed me to this was that the M/V didn't have any of the members covering his parts. This is another song that I think is way too short, also one of the main lines that sticks with me is Shownu's "If you want me to stay for the rest of my life,You got me You got me." For me as a MONBEBE makes me think how no matter their hardships I'll stand by them.
Middle of the Night

Shownu's voice at the start of She's The One is just breathtaking and I absolutely love Jooheon's voice at his part. I think the simplicity of this song makes it easy to listen to as well as enjoy.
She's The One

Out of all the b-sides on this album Can't Hold My Heart is my favourite. I love that the beat really comes in at the chorus when Kihyun sings. On first listen this song was the song that really stood out for me and I fall in love with it each and every time I listen to it.
Can't Hold My Heart

Now it's time to really slow it down with Misbehave, while the lyrics may suggest the relationship may be a little toxic, but you can't help but really love all their vocals as well as have a little giggle at the fact the MONSTA X are singing about make-up sex. I think this is one of those songs that would be perfect in Korean too.
Misbehave

If it wasn't for Beside U (Feat. Pitbull), I wouldn't have know Pitbull was still making and releasing music. I love the beat of this song, and I can't help but feel this is Jooheon's song, personally for me his voice really stands out. This is another of the songs that has to be one of my favourites. I just wish the physical release also came with the track with I.M's rap too.
Beside U (Feat. Pitbull)
Beside U (I.M rap Ver.) (Feat. Pitbull)

In all honesty when I first heard Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana) (Will.i.am Remix), I really didn't like it, for me it took away one of the things I loved about the song which was the music. The more I listen to the more I get used to it, but I wouldn't say it's a song I choose to play.
Who Do U Love? (Feat. French Montana) (Will.i.am Remix)

MONSTA X
Overall for their first full English album, I think MONSTA X did an amazing job, if I was a new fan through this album I wouldn't have thought they were a K-pop boy band. Their English pronunciation is really good especially Shownu and Jooheon. While I love that we got to see another side of MONSTA X, I did miss their more upbeat and harder tracks but on the plus side, we got to hear Jooheon shine as a vocalist, not only is he a badass rapper, he also has soft and stunning vocals.

Were you excited about MONSTA X releasing and English album?
On first listen did you have a favourite track?
Has your opinion changed on any of the songs?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment