Monday 12 August 2019

BLACKPINK - Square Up

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


BLACKPINK are a 4-member South Korean girl group, formed by YG Entertainment. making their debut back in 2016.
The members of BLACKPINK are:
Jisoo
Image result for blackpink jisoo gif
Google Images

Jennie
Image result for blackpink jennie gif
Google Images

Rose
Image result for blackpink rose gif
Google Imaged

Lisa
Image result for blackpink lisa gif
Google Images

Square Up is BLACKPINK's 1st Korean mini album, on the 1st of June 2018, moving posters were released, announcing BLACKPINK's return and that the albums title would be Square Up. On the 4th of June 2018, it was announced that the title track was called 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU). The next day on the 5th of June 2018, the track list was released.
On the 6th of June 2018, Rose's individual moving poster was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 7th of June 2018, Jisoo's individual moving poster was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 8th of June 2018, Jennie's individual moving poster was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 9th of June 2018, Lisa's individual moving poster was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 12th of June 2018, teaser images were released for Jennie, Rose and the group.
 Google Images
 On the 13th of June 2018, teaser images were released for Jisoo, Lisa and the group.
 Google Images
 On the 14th of June 2018, the M/V teaser was released for title track 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU).
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 15th of June 2019, the 1st mini album 'Square Up' album sampler was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment
At 6pm on the 15th of June 2018, the M/V for 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) was released along with the physical and digital release of their 1st Korean mini album Square Up.
Owned by YG Entertainment
On the 18th of June 2018, the dance practice (Moving Ver.) for 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) was released. On the 21st of June 2018, the dance practice (Moving Ver.) for Forever Young was released.
Owned by YG Entertainment

On the afternoon of the 15th of June 2018, BLACKPINK held a press conference for the release of Square Up, also one hour before the albums release, BLACKPINK held a special live countdown on Naver's V App.

BLACKPINK started promotions for 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) on the 16th of June 2018, starting with Show! Music Core performing both 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) and Forever Young. The 14th of July 2018, saw promotions end for 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU), but promotions for the album continued with Forever Young. After 7 weeks on the 5th of August 2018, BLACKPINK completed promotions for Square Up.

뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) won BLACKPINK a total of 11 music show trophies. with the girls having 3 wins on M Countdown, 1 win on Music Bank, 4 wins on Show! Music Core and  3 wins on Inkigayo.

Square Up peaked at No.1 on the Gaon Albums Chart. No.11 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.40 on the Billboard 200 and No.1 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
267,054+
Oricon Sales:
16,397+
Giving the album a total sales of 283,451+
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) has so far gained 914,232,614 million views, with the views continuing to increase at a fast and daily basis.

Square Up is released in 2 versions; Black and Pink.
Both versions are set out in a box slipcase and come with Cd, photo book, lenticular lyric booklet, postcard, random photo card and random selfie photo card.
Album covers for both versions are different and correspond to the version with the Black version being black and the Pink version being pink. The photo books for both versions are completely different, with the Black versions photo book having more of a darker and sultry concept, while the pink version has more of a brighter concept.

Track List:
뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) 
Forever Young
Really
See U Later
*Cd Only*
As If It's Your Last




























As you can see I have the pink version of Square Up, I was way too excited when I went into my local HMV store and came across this album, I just couldn't resist. I wouldn't class myself as a BLINK but I do have a lot of love and respect for BLACKPINK, I often find it harder to get into girl groups than I do with the boy groups, but there was something about BLACKPINK that got a hold on me. I've actually liked the girls since they made their debut with their first digital release and like their fans I was getting rather frustrated with the lack of comebacks the girls were having as well as them not getting any physical releases for their album, it took YG pretty much 2 years to give the girls and the fans what they were wanting.
I love the photo book for the pink version, the pictures are stunning and the colourful backgrounds make the pictures pop even more. I love the styling for the girls, they're styles that only they can really pull off individually.
I really like this album, I love that each track is different and showcases different styles as well as as their versatile talents.
I remember many people taking a first dislike to 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU), but I was a fan of this song from the first listen, I love that it was a more chilled out song compared to their past releases, but it still has that signature BLACKPINK sound, I love that the beat changes at the final part of the track too.
뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU) 
I really love Forever Young, altogether now "BLACKPINK is the revolution", I love all their voices in this song, I love the beat and like others while it's not bad to hear I don't think the change in the end of the track is really needed or necessary, it's like YG wanted to give BLACKPINK a gorgeous stunning, meaningful song but throw in that hardcore YG sound too.
Forever Young
I have to say that Really is my favourite song from Square Up. I love that their vocals really fit with the melody of the track, I love Lisa's raps, I love Rose's, Jisoo's and Jennies voices and I love that they split up who sings the chorus. I feel that this track would be a crowd favourite at concerts as it a lovely song to chill out to before it's time to get pumped up again.
Really
JaeguchiI love the contrast between the verses and chorus for See U Later, I love that the verses are more chilled and then it drops and it's time to get pumped at the chorus. I think the main thing I love about this song though is Rose's voice. I think out of all the members of BLACKPINK, Rose has a really unique voice that helps her stand out a little more and I think this track helps her voice stand out a little bit more. I love that it changes up at the end too to get you grooving and moving that little bit more.
See U Later
I was really surprised as I only had the digital release when I came across As If It's Your Last as a bonus track on the album as it's one of my favourite title track releases from the girls. I would have to say it's my favourite of their digital only releases. I love the music, lyrics and their voices in this song, I think this song helped to show again just how versatile BLACKPINK really are.
Owned by YG Entertainment
As If It's Your Last

I'm so excited for BLACKPINK and BLINKS for the success they're receiving right now, this year with their latest mini album they became the first Korean girl group to get their album into the UK Official Albums Chart, they've also had 2 singles in the UK Singles Chart with Kill This Love and their collaboration with Dua Lipa with Kiss and Make Up. This year they also held 2 sold-out concerts here in the UK, with 1 at Wembley Arena in London and 1 at the Manchester Arena, sadly I couldn't go to either but I'm glad they're doing amazing.
I wouldn't say groups are paving the way, but I definitely do think that BTS and BLACKPINK are leading the way around the world for K-pop.

Which version of Square Up do you have?
Were you a fan of 뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)?
Do you have a favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment