Friday 22 July 2016

Attack on Titan Live-Action Film Part 1!

Hello
An nyeoung
Konnichiwa
Ni hao


If you've seen my past posts then you know that one of my favourite anime and manga's is Attack on Titan also known as Shingeki no Kyojin, well they thought they would try it out as a live action film based on the manga.
The film was directed by Shinji Higuchi and written by Yasuke Watanabe and Tomohiro Machiyama, with a change of scenery for the film the cast were mainly Japanese.

Starring in the film was:
Haruma Miura as Eren
Google Images

Kiko Mizuhara as Mikasa
Google Images

Kanata Hongo as Armin
Google Images

Takahiro Miura as Jean
Google Images

Nanami Sakuraba as Sasha aka Potato girl
Google Images

Satomi Ishihara as Hans aka Hange/Hanji
Google Images

Hiroki Hasegawa as Shikishima aka Levi
Google Images

Like the Death Note live action films this one was also split into 2 part films, part 1 was released August 1st 2015 in Japan with part 2 being released in Japan 19th September titled Attack on Titan: End of the World.

Back in October 2011 it was announced there was to be am Attack on Titan film that would be released in 2013, December 2011 it was also announced that it would be a live action film. A change in director caused a delay in the films release with a new director Shinji Higuchi coming on as directer December 2013. A few months later in April 2014 it was revealed that Haruma Miura was part of the cast, then in July 2014 it was revealed that the film would be separated into 2 parts. 
November 2014 saw the first pictures of the actors as their characters released, which caused many AOT fans to voice their concerns about the casting choices.
March 2015 saw the release of a teaser trailer for the film which for many hyped up the excitement of the film being released.
AOT teaser trailer.
April and June saw the release of 2 more trailers for the film.
AOT trailer 2.
AOT full trailer.

Part 1 was No.1 on it's opening weekend in Japan making $5.1 million, it was the seventh highest-grossing Japanese made film at the Japanese box office in 2015 and the 17th highest-grossing film in the Japanese box office in 2015.



Now we've got all the big information on the film out of the way lets get to what I actually thought about the film.
After seeing glimpses of titan Eren I didn't hold much hope for the film and even thought about ignoring the film altogether, but after seeing it pop up on my Amazon I decided to buy part 1 and pre-order part 2 and get the shame and pain done and out of the way. Like many fans I wasn't too pleased about the whole character change especially the fact that my favourite character Levi wouldn't be in the movie, I personally thought they took a big risk removing a character that even though he wasn't necessarily a main character he is a fan favourite for the show, you may have noticed above at the cast I did mention Levi's name because the character Shikishima seems to be Levi to me. Overall for the film I was pleasantly surprised, even though there were parts and character profiles I wasn't too happy with. The film takes a love story approach for Eren and Mikasa even though the anime and manga makes jokes that Mikasa is in love with Eren this looks more like they were put them together by the end of part 2(no spoilers please). I couldn't fault Kanata Hongo as Armin minus his blonde hair I think he got Armin pretty right and I was happy that they didn't make him as much of a wimp as he is in the manga and anime. I hated that they made Mikasa vulnerable to begin with, Mikasa is known for being a bad ass and for always being by Eren's side to get him out of whatever trouble he got himself into but Kiko Mizuhara did a great job. I personally didn't take a liking to Shikishima if he is being based around Levi I don't like how they portrayed him, don't get me wrong Hiroki Hasegawa did an amazing job bringing his character life but I couldn't help feeling that they were trying to make Levi a scheming character, Levi even though he tends not to show his emotions; Shikishima seemed to get joy out of others pain. Haruma Miura did amazing as Eren and I couldn't help laughing at the scene where he and another character were practically watching a couple get it on to the next bit him being pounced on and being requested he would become her daughters father. My favourite character from the film has to be Hans/Hange Satomi Ishihara did amazing bringing her to life, personally for me She was the only one that had the character down, even her look was on top. For me personally the only let down for me was the CGI(or whatever they used) titan Eren looked extremely cheap I understand that they had to work with what funding they had for the film but I believe if that had been better the film would have had better reviews. I bow down for the titans because they were creepy as hell and it made it feel more real especially showing the children crying when they start appearing. I noticed throughout the film too that none of the characters were called or their surnames mentioned, I'm guessing this was because of the location being changed from Germany to Japan, I don't think you'll find many Japanese people with surnames like Yeager, Arlert, Kirstein and Braus. I actually ended watching the film looking forward to seeing how part 2 would be, even the soundtrack was pretty good.

I'm sure I'll think of other points that I forgot to mention once this post is up but overall for a film I thought was going to be pretty bad turned out to be pretty good, it's a film I know I could sit and watch again and again.

Have you seen Part 1?
What did you make of the film?
Let me know in the comments below.
See you soon!

An nyeoung
Sayonara
Zia Jian
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment