Friday 9 April 2021

Korean Drama - A Love So Beautiful

Hello

안녕하세요

(Annyeonghaseyo)

こんにちは

(Konnichiwa)

你好

(Ni Hao)

Google Images

A Love So Beautiful is a 2020/2021 South Korean coming-of-age drama written by Choi Yoo Jung and Jang Yoo Yeon, and directed by Seo Min Jung.
The series aired for 24 episodes, starting on the 28th of December 2020 and concluding on the 20th of February 2021.

Main Cast:
Kim Yohan as  Cha Heon
Google Images

So Joo Yeon as Shin Sol-i
Google Images

Yeo Hoe Hyun as Woo Dae Sung
Google Images

Jo Hye Joo as Kang Ha Yeong
Google Images

Jeong Jin Hwan as Jeong Jin Hwan
Google Images

Supporting Cast:
Yang Yoo Jin as Seo Ji Soo
Google Images

Jo Ryeon as Lee Chan Hee (Sol-i's Mother)
Google Images

Yun Seo Hyun as Shin Gi Heon (Sol-i's Father)
Google Images

Seong Hye Min as Moon Seok Hee (Homeroom Teacher)
Google Images

Kim Dong Kyu as Wang Se Hyung
Google Images

Ji Hwa Seop as Nurse Lee
Google Images

Park Ji Won as Oh Hee Ji
Google Images

Yoo Ji Yeon as Lee Su Jin
Google Images

Ki Eun Yoo as Cha Geon (Cha Heon's Brother)
Google Images

Choi Bo Min as Na Mi Nyeo
Google Images

Kim Sung Gon as Mr. Cho
Google Images

Jung Chung Min as Swimming Coach
Google Images

The series is based on the 2017 Chinese series of the same name, which was based on the novel To Our Pure Little Beauty by Zhao Qianqian.
The plot of this coming-of-age series revolves around the life of 3 high school students and their friends from youth to adulthood.
The series aired it's final episode on the 20th of February 2021, garnering 373 million cumulative views over it's run of 24 episodes.

On the 1st of July 2020, Kakao M announced that it would broadcast a remake of the 2017 Chinese series A Love So Beautiful in the form of a mini series, which was in the early stages of production.
On the 6th of July 2020, it was reported that both Kim Yohan and So Joo Yeon were considering appearing in the series.
Then on the 27th of July 2020, Kakao M confirmed that So Joo Yeon, Kim Yohan and Yeo Heo Hyun were cast in the lead roles.

While the OST for this drama is small, I love all the songs, and like with many other dramas, as soon as I hear these songs, I'm transported right back into the series and episodes.
Check out the songs and the Trailer below.
Kim Yohan - Recently

SinB - Loveable

Ha Hyun Sang - My Day My Night

Trailer

In Spring, 2006, Shin Sol-i is a 17-year-old high school student. She has loved Cha Heon for a long time.
Cha Heon is her classmate and also a childhood friend, they happen to live next door to each other.
Shin Sol-i tries to express her feelings to him, but it doesn't go well.

Google Images

I decided to give this drama a watch because it kept popping up on my Netflix spotlight, a couple of episodes in both myself and Skye wondered why Cha Heon looked familiar when we figured out he was a member of WEi, at the time I was only familiar with 1 member of the group, but now I'm a fan I'm happy to have witnessed Kim Yohan's acting debut.
It wasn't till a few episodes into the series that I realised it was a Korean adaptation of the Chinese drama, which I also have on my list to watch on Netflix.
I really enjoyed the series and I think because the episodes were only around 25 minutes long that I couldn't wait to get into the next one and see how the story unfolded.
I think the cast worked well together and did an amazing job bringing their characters to life, I think the script and episodes flowed well together.
For his first acting role I think Kim Yohan did an amazing job as Cha Heon, Cha Heon is someone that comes across as cold and mainly focuses on his studies, but as we get to know him he's really kind hearted, but just doesn't know how to express it very well. There were times when Cha Heon got onto the wrong side of me, at times it looked like he was trying to manipulate Sol-i to keep her by his side, but he was just confused and didn't know how to express what he was feeling or why he felt that way.
I loved So Joo Yeon as Shin Sol-i, I think she did amazing bringing her character to life, my only disappointment is Sol-i seems to be like many female leads in these types of dramas. No matter how many times Cha Heon upset or hurt her, she always went crawling back to him because she was in love with him, I can't help but also think if a man or a woman always seemed to be around their crush, there would be people saying they were being stalked. Putting that aside Sol-i was quite adorable and I liked that she had the willpower to never give up.
I absolutely adored Yeo Hoe Hyun as Woo Dae Sung, I definitely got the 2nd male lead syndrome with him, as we saw his feelings for Sol-i begin to change. I loved his love-hate relationship with Cha Heon, it often made me giggle how they fought against one another for Sol-i's attention. The main thing I loved about Woo Dae Sung, was that no matter how he felt about Sol-i, he always had her back and always made sure she would be happy, no matter if that meant he would be left heartbroken.
I think Jo Hye Joo brought Sol-i's best friend Kang Ha Yeong, to life perfectly, the only thing I really disliked at first was how she seemed to string along Jin Hwan, when she would hand him over gifts that were intended for someone else. I'm glad it all eventually changed when she really figured out how honest Jin Hwan had been with her.
I would have to say that Jeong Jin Hwan was my favourite cast member as Jeong Jin Hwan, his character really made me laugh many times. He wasn't afraid to go for his dreams and what his heart wanted, but I loved that when he was brave enough to really confess he seemed to shy away, he was also a funny drunk. My favourite scene saw Jin Hwan, Cha Heon and Dae Sung dancing and I couldn't help laughing.
I feel like I have to mention and applaud Park Ji Won as Oh Hee Ji as while she came across as a bitch and would do anything to get her hands on Cha Heon, while knowing his true feelings, as well as mistreating his kindness and friendship as something more, she really brought to reality the hardships many teenagers face when it comes to the pressures of life and school from pushy parents.
I think all the cast worked really well together, each of them brought something to the line-up, they made me mad and made me laugh.

I absolutely loved this drama and will happily watch it again, it's a short but sweet series, that doesn't leave you feeling that it's unfinished, for me that final overall episode really brings to home everything we saw over the past 23 episodes and makes everything really fall into place.

Have you watched the Korean adaptation of A Love So Beautiful?
Were you a fan of the cast?
Did you enjoy the script and plot?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment