Monday 9 July 2018

SHINee - Romeo

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


After over 2 years, I'm back with a SHINee post, I've recently done a K-pop inventory and realised I still have a few SHINee album's I haven't shared with you yet, I've ended up getting lost in other fandoms that SHINee's albums were buried in the mountain of new interests. This is the pain of being a Multi-Fandom.
Today's post we're heading back to 2009 and their 2nd mini album Romeo.

Romeo was SHINee's first Korean release after 9 months, since the release of their repackaged album Amigo on October 31st 2008.

May 2009, Romeo The Second Mini Album Teaser was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 22nd of May 2009, the M/V for 줄리엣 (Juliette) was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment
On the 25th of May 2009. Romeo was released both digitally and physically.
On the 10th of June 2009, the 줄리엣 (Juliette) Dance Ver. M/V was released.
Owned by SM Entertainment

Their title Track 줄리엣 (Juliette), is a remake of 'Deal With It' by Jay Sean and Corbin Bleu, SM bought the rights to the song, with the track being slightly re-arranged, the original lyrics weren't bought with brand new Korean lyrics being written for it by member Jonghyun.
Romeo's concept is inspired by William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet, SHINee portray the Romeo of the 21st century, who are confessing their love to their Juliet. Two of the six tracks are named after Romeo and Juliet, with the title track being named 줄리엣 (Juliette) and the last track being named 소년, 소녀를 만나다 (Romeo + Juliette).

줄리엣 (Juliette) was written by Jonghyun, which was the first SHINee track written by him to be released, he stated that after listening to the demo, he went to look for a romance story that "will make everyone interested but also a story which everyone can identify with" and that he suddenly thought of the classic movie Romeo & Juliet and was inspired by it.

Promotions began for 줄리엣 (Juliette) and Romeo on the 22nd of May 2009, starting on Music Bank, 줄리엣 (Juliette) won SHINee a total of 4 music show trophies, with 2 wins on Inkigayo and 2 wins on Music Bank, it was the 1st time a song written solely by SHINee members got No.1.

Jonghyun and Minho co-wrote 줄리엣 (Juliette), with Minho writing his rap.
Gaon Sales:
29,589+ copies sold
*YouTube views correct at time of writing post*
The M/V for 줄리엣 (Juliette) has so far gained 9,455,950 million views, with the views increasing each day.

Romeo is set out in a paperback book style case and the albums concept follows a bright and fun concept as well as their take on a modern day Romeo.
The album comes with a random member back cover.

Track List:
니가 맘에 들어 (Talk To You)
줄리엣 (Juliette)
차라리 때려 (Hit Me)
세뇨리따 (Senorita)
잠꼬대 (Please Don't Go)
소년, 소녀를 만나다 (Romeo + Juliette)





















I got Taemin for my back cover, I love their futuristic vision for the masks, I think it's something that would probably be more accepted in today's fashion then it probably was back in 2009. While I enjoy this album I think personally for me considering this was their 3rd (4th including repackaged album) release I think it's their weakest release from the start of their career. Personally for me 줄리엣 (Juliette) is the only track for me that really stands out and the rest of the tracks seem to blend in to one another, apart from 잠꼬대 (Please, Don't Go) that showcases Jonghyun and Onew's vocals to the point that for me you can hear the emotion in their voices, I would have loved to have been able to hear and see them sing this song together in person but thankfully they performed it at SHINee World V, so I can still witness it. Sadly for me Romeo is a forgettable album to the point I often forget not only they released this album but that it's also part of my SHINee collection. I can easily say this isn't one of my favourite releases from SHINee but that doesn't it's the same for everyone that's listened to this album.
Check out the tracks and make you own opinion.

(Talk To You)

줄리엣 (Juliette)


차라리 때려 (Hit Me)


세뇨리따 (Senorita)


잠꼬대 (Please, Don't Go)


소년, 소녀를 만나다 (Romeo + Juliette)

This year SHINee celebrated their 10 year anniversary, I know it would have been hard for them to celebrate when they're still in pain from their loss, but I couldn't have been prouder them. I watched many reaction video's with the reactors apologising for their reactions as they barely spoke and were pretty much emotional. I was the same, we all knew that SHINee would be coming back with 4 members, but for all SHAWOL, I don't think it really sunk in and became real until their 1st M/V and album was released. Onew's words will stick with me for the rest of their career "as 4, all 5 of us will move forward together".

Are you a fan of Romeo?
What's your favourite track from the album?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment