Saturday 7 April 2018

Korean Drama - Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Google Images
I'm back with another Korean drama and this time it's Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo.

Google Images
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo is a South Korean television series, written by Yang Hee-Seung, created by Han Hee and directed by Oh Hyun-Jong. The series aired on Wednesday's and Thursday's on MBC at 10 pm, airing from the 16th of November 2016 to the 11th of January 2017, running for 16 episodes.

Main Cast:

Lee Sung-Kyung as Kim Bok Joo
Google Images

Nam Joo-Hyuk as Jung Joon-Hyung
Google Images

Lee Jae-Yoon as Jung Jae-Yi
Google Images

Nam Joo-Hyuk as Song Shi-Ho
Google Images

Supporting Cast:

Cho Hye-Jung as Nan-Hee
Google Images

Lee Joo-Young as Lee Seon-Ok
Google Images


Choi Moo-Sung as Yoon Deok-Man/Prof/Coach
Google Images

Jang Young-Nam as Choi Sung-Eun/Coach
Google Images

Ji Il-Joo as Jo Tae-Kwon
Google Images

Ahn Gil-Kang as Kim Chang-Gul
Google Images

Kang Ki-Young as Kim Dae-Ho
Google Images

Sadly the series was a commercial failure only averaging 4.6% in audience share and received the lowest viewership ratings in it's time slot throughout it's run. The series gained a cult following amongst young young viewers and received favourable reviews. While domestically the drama was seen as a commercial failure internationally the series also received popularity, particularly in the Philippines.

Google Images
Like past dramas that I have watched this series has songs that when heard take me back to the series.

Kim Min-Seung - 앞으로 (From Now On)


Han Hee-Jung - 꿈꾼다 (Dreaming)

A coming-of-age story about a group of college athletes who are fighting for their dreams, experiencing  and finding love in the process, and growing every step of the way. Kim Bok Joo is a weightlifter who has a crush on Joon Hyung's older brother Jung Jae-yi, but after that Joon Hyung falls for her.

Google Images
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo had been on my to watch list for a while, the poster for it kept popping up everywhere and from a snippet I had seen, it seemed funny and interesting so I decided to give it a watch. I was already a little familiar with Nam Joo-Hyuk, I say a little familiar with him, I've watched the first episode of The Bride of Habaek and I allowed myself to be put off by comments saying they didn't like his acting, I also wasn't really fond of the first episode and couldn't decide whether I didn't like Nam Joo-Hyuk's acting or his character so I'm still to go back to that drama. After watching Weightlifting Kim Bok Joo, I am now a fan of Nam Joo-Hyuk and I loved not only his acting but his character, he added a lot of comedy to the series. Lee Sung-Kyung was also amazing as Kim Bok Joo and I loved that you could really believe that she was actually gaining experiences from things that were new to her. I found this series funny, empowering and inspirational. Like all the drama's I've watched by the time the final episode was done I was in tears and felt myself clapping as if I'd just watched a live show. What made me cry even more was in the last few moments of the final episode appeared the words: We want to thank all the viewers for spending this clumsy yet passionate youthful age of 21 with us. To all the youths living right now, SWAG.
I loved the story line, the characters, the acting and the actors it was a really enjoyable drama series that didn't just focus on matters of the heart but also matters of the mind including mental health issues. Even if it doesn't sound or look like something you would watch I highly recommend checking it out as no matter your age, it's a series you can draw inspiration from.

I still have an extremely long list of Korean drama's that I want to watch but deciding on which one to start first is a difficult task, wonder which drama I'll be sharing next with you, well I guess it's To Be Continued!

Were you a fan of Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo?
Which character was your favourite?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment