Tuesday 13 June 2017

Happy Memory School Sponge

Hello
Annyeong
Konnichiwa
Ni Hao


Wow it's been 5 months since I shared my last baking post as well as about 5 months since I last did some baking, for some reason I've actually not felt like doing too much baking, it's like I've lost my love for it. but I'm wanting to change that and start back up again. I have gone baking posts planned, so hopefully I stick to it and restart the fire of my love of baking. Today's post is something that takes me back many many years and reminds me of all the seconds I used to have of this sponge cake back in Primary School, Skye says they don't have this at her school so I thought I'd let her try this simple but amazing pudding.


Ingredients:
300 g baking butter
275 g caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence/ 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
(up to you which you choose)
4 eggs
300 g self raising flour
Icing
Water
coloured/sugar strands

Pre-heat your oven to 160 C/ 325 F.
Once you've weighed out all the ingredients you need, put the sugar and butter in a large bowl and cream together.

Next add the eggs, I always add my eggs one at a time to mix them together.




Next I added the vanilla bean paste, I used vanilla bean paste because I didn't have any vanilla essence, and then mixed it together.

Next I added the four and combined, I sieved the flour half at a time.



Next I greased my cake tin and poured in the sponge mixture and then placed it into the oven for 30 minutes, checked it and popped it back in for a further 15 minutes as it wasn't baked properly. The sponge is done when your skewer or knife comes out clean.

While your sponge is cooling down start making your icing, you could either follow a recipe or do what I did, which was put the icing sugar in a large bowl and adding water and icing sugar till it reaches the consistency you desire.

Once your icing is ready pour it onto your cake and sprinkle in the coloured sugar strands and leave the sponge for the icing to set for a while.

Once your ready to serve heat up some custard and pour over a slice of the sponge and enjoy.

This sponge brought back some amazing childhood memories of being in primary school and that I always had seconds when they came round offering it. I think this recipe is really easy and quick to make and was enjoyed by everyone. The sponge was so soft and moist and the custard melting the icing tasted really nice, if you want to relive your youth with this dessert then I highly recommend trying out this recipe.

Did you have this sponge when you were in primary school?
Have you made it since for your own children?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


Annyeong
Sayonara
Zai Jian
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment