Friday 30 September 2016

Sword Art Online II Anime

Hello
Annyeoung
Konnichiwa
Ni Hao

Back in August I wrote about the first season of the popular anime series Sword Art Online, if you haven't already then feel free to go check it out, to recap Sword Art Online is often shortened and known as SAO and the anime is created from the light novel series written by Reki Kawahara and illustrated by abec. The anime adaptation was announced in 2011 and is directed by Tomohiki Ito with music by Yuki Kajiura. The anime is produced by Aniplex and animated by A-1 pictures.

Back in December 2013 on new years eve, a year end special was released titles Sword Art Online Extra Edition, which recapped season 1 and also included some new footage at the end of the special the series was confirmed to be getting a second season and would be titled Sword Art Online II.
Premiere screening events for the second season were held in the US, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea and Japan the 29th of June to the 4th of July 2014 before the TV premiere on the 5th of July.
Episodes 1-14 follow volumes 5 & 6 of the light novels that covers the Phantom Bullet Arc, episodes 15 to 17 cover the Calibur Arc from volume 8 of the novels and episodes 18 to 24 cover the Mothers Rosario Arc from volume 7.

The second season has 2 opening themes and 3 ending themes with my favourite SAO singer LiSA reappearing, check them out below.

Opening 1 - Eir Aoi - Ignite

Opening 2 - Haruka Tomatsu - Courage
This song was also used for the Mothers Rosario Arc

Ending 1 - Luna Haruna - Startear


Ending 2 - LiSA - No More Time Machine

Ending 3 - LiSA - Shirushi 


Google Images
SAOII follows Kirito after he is asked to investigate strange deaths in a new virtual reality game called Gun Gale Online, which is known as GGO for short. A player named Death Gun seems to be able to kill players in the real world when he kills them within the game. Kirito is helped along by a female player called Sinon, with her help Kirito joins a gunfight tournament called Bullet of Bullets or BoB for short, to discover the truth behind the mysterious deaths. Kirito realises that Death Gun is a player and survivor of SAO and was part of the player killing guild Laughing Coffin, will Kirito and Sinon beat the bad guy and win the game.

Google Images
In Arc 2 we see Sinon join Kirito's group and we see the gang head back into Alfheim Online and go on the hunt for the legendary sword Excalibur.
On their hunt for Excalibur the group of friends find out that a slaughter quest is under way ordered by the king of giants, who caused the world of Jotunheimr to turn into an icy wasteland. If Jotunheimr is destroyed the king of giants would be able to invade Alfheim, will Kiroto and the gang find Excalibur in time and save Alfheim.

Google Images
Arc 3: Mothers Rosario is a side story following Asuna on her own journey, joining and helping out another guild.

Google Images
I got into season 2 a lot easier and quicker than season 1 but I think that's because I'd not seen any of it. I liked that even though Kirito was in another online game the other well known characters weren't alienated from the first arc with them being shown together watching Kirito compete on BoB. I liked that they changed up his look for the Phantom Bullet Arc, he may have been in his usual all black gear but this time he had long hair with many of the other players confusing him for a female player with even Sinon assuming he was a girl, which added to the comedy of the season. If you haven't seen SAOII before you'll probably be wondering why in this season in a show called SWORD Art Online they use guns well this is where Kirito doesn't change and he instead ignores the guns for a light sword which for anyone that's seen this season and is familiar with the Star Wars franchise is a lightsaber. I felt even though it wasn't as long Arc 2 felt more slow paced compared to Arc 2 but I was happy to get more of Leafa and Klein, even a certain god named Thor appears. Now this is where I confess that I haven't really fully started Arc 3, I don't have the DVD that contains this Arc and I'm not really in any particular rush to get it to watch this Arc as I said in my past SAO post, I'm not a big Asuna fan, even though I am tempted to miss this Arc completely I wouldn't feel right doing so as I could possibly miss any hints for the next season, not that I have any high hopes of that being hinted  but I have to give myself a reason to want to sit and watch this Arc.
Again SAOII like the first season is something I would recommend people to watch if they haven't, some people think it's overrated and some think it's underrated, I personally think it's a series you will either love or hate, I don't think there is any in between with it.

Google Images
Again if you like action, romance, comedy and edge of the seat moments then I highly recommend watching Sword Art Online. The complete 1st season is still available dubbed on Netflix and both season 1 and 2 are available subbed on Crunchyroll.

Have you watched Sword Art Online II?
Are you a fan?
Which season did you prefer?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


Annyeoung
Sayonara
Zai Jian
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment