Tuesday 1 September 2015

Cooking: Sausage & Bean Casserole

Hello
An nyoung
Konnichiwa
Ni Hao



I thought I'd try a new dish for this post, it's not really a dish that is rarely cooked by people but it's a new dish for me as I've never cooked it before, all i can think is that it's going to be like cooking a stew and as much as I love the Summer (when we get one - the joys of England) i think the best time to cook is the Autumn and Winter as you get to cook good cold weather beating home food and one of the dishes I love to cook is a Beef Stew and I hope to share the recipe I follow for it with you as it's definitely a winter walmer so keep a look at, I'm also thinking too as it gets closer to Autumn and Winter trying some seasonal dishes like attempting Pumpkin Pie when it comes to pumpkin carving, maybe even try making Egg Nog as we enter the Christmas season (a close friend had an Egg Nog disaster last year), well lets move on shall we, lets get down to the cooking.



Ingredients:
2 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 medium celery sticks, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3 fat garlic cloves, chopped
6 cooking chorizo sausages (about 400g)
6 pork sausages (about 400g)
1.5 tsp sweet smoked paprika
0.5 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dried thyme
125ml white wine
2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes or chopped tomatoes
1 chicken stock cube
1 x 400g tin borlotti beans, drained & rinsed

(Yes I weighed my potatoes)
1.5 kg floury potatoes (King Edward/Maris Piper)
125ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tbsp butter
4 tbsp creme fraiche

I started off with the dreaded chore of preparing all my ingredients, when onions are used i always leave it last as the fumes from chopping the onion really sting my eyes, i also used this time to peel and chop my potatoes ready for the pan for my mash.

Once all that was ready I placed the oil in a large heavy-based pan and put it on a medium heat, then added the chopped onion and cooked for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes I added the chopped peppers and celery and cooked for a further 5 minutes.

Next I added the chorizo and pork sausages and fried for 5 minutes.

Then I stirred in the garlic, spices and dried thyme and continued to let it cook for a further 1-2 minutes.

Wine time, pour in the wine and use a wooden spoon to remove any residue stuck to the pan.

Then add the tinned tomatoes and bring to a simmer.

Crumble in the chicken stock cube and stir in to the pan.

Once all the above is done cook for 40 minutes.

After 10 minutes I added my chopped potatoes to to a pan of boiling water (I always add them to kettle boiled water to help heat the water).

Back to the Casserole stir in the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Next back to the potatoes, transfer the potatoes to a colander and drain well, then return to the pan on a low heat for a further 2 minutes to dry completely.

In a separate pan heat the milk and butter, then pour over the potatoes.

Remove the pan from the heat and mash the potatoes with either an electric hand whisk or potato masher (I always use a potato masher).

Tip in the creme fraiche and beat with  wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.

Season both the casserole and mashed potatoes with salt and pepper (i used black pepper)

Now it's all ready to be served.

Bon Appetit

I really hope you enjoyed making this dish with me and one thing I've learnt with cooking is that you can make anything you put your mind to and that practise makes perfect. Drop me some comments below if you have any recipes you'd like to see me create especially any winter walmers, it can even be a recipe you'd wish for me to try out first before you attempt it.
See you soon!


An nyoung
Sayonara
Zai Jian
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment