Thursday 19 October 2017

Korean Drama - Playful Kiss

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)


Google Images
I've been slowly piling up on the Korean dramas that I've watched and I'm wanting to eventually share with you all the dramas that I have watched, there are 2 dramas that I haven't shared with you yet that are basically my favourite dramas ever. Today's Korean drama post is for Playful Kiss.

Playful Kiss is a 2010 South Korean romantic-comedy TV series, it's written by Go Eun nim, directed by Hwang In rai and Kim Do hyung and starring Jung So min and Kim Hyun Joong. The series aired from the 1st of September 2010 till October 21st 2010 on Wednesdays and Thursdays on MBC, with a total of 16 episodes. The series is based on the Japanese manga Itazura Na Kiss written by Tada Kaoru, the Korean series is the 3rd TV adaptation of the manga, following Taiwanese It Started With A Kiss in 2005 and it's sequel They Kiss Again in 2007.
The series stars:

Kim Hyun Joong as Baek Seung Jo
Google Images
Jung So Min as Oh Hani
Google Images
Lee Tae Sung as Bong Joon gu
Google Images
Lee Si Young as Yoon Hae Ra
Google Images
Hong Yoon Hwa as Jung Joo Ri
Google Images
Yoon Seung Ah as Dokgo Minah
Google Images
Jung Hye Young as Hwang Geum Hee
Google Images
Oh Kyung Soo as Baek Soo Chang
Google Images
Choi Won Hong as Baek Eun Jo
Google Images
Kang Nam Gil as Oh Ki Dong
Google Images
Even though Playful Kiss received low ratings in South Korea, which were in the 5 to 7 percent range, it was sold to 12 countries in Asia for approximately $3,400,000 and developed a strong cult following, with it having been streamed 70 million times on Viki and earning $400,000 in ad revenue through online streaming.
Due to international popularity, a short special edition series was aired on YouTube after the series finale, showing Hani and Seung Jo's married life, Playful Kiss: Special Edition was released on YouTube, starting the 2nd of November 2010 and contains 7 10 minute webisodes, which were subtitled in English, Japanese, Chinese and Spanish as well as others.


Google Images
Clumsy high school student Oh Hani is at the bottom of her class and has a crush on popular and genius student Baek Seung Jo. Hani decides to confess to him by writing him a letter, to which Seung Jo rejects Hani by grading her letter and correcting her spellings and grammatical mistakes and tells her that he hates stupid girls. When an earthquake destroys Hani's home, a childhood friend of her fathers invites them to live with them while their home is rebuilt, his friend turns out to be Seung Jo's father. With the help of Seung Jo's mother, Hani tries to change Seung Jo's feelings towards herself.
When Hani and Seung Jo graduate from high school and enter university, Seung Jo meets Hae Ra, who is basically the female version of himself, while Joon Gu still vies to be the one that Hani will end up falling for and being with.
Hae Ra falls in love with Seung Jo and they constantly spend time together making Hani jealous, but when Seung Jo's father becomes hospitalised, Seung Jo takes over his fathers gaming company while he recovers, while in charge and investor requests an arranged marriage meeting between Seung Jo and his granddaughter, to which he agrees to and attends to discover the granddaughter is Hae Ra.
How will Playful Kiss end?
Will Seung Jo be with Hae Ra or will he fall for Hani?

I really enjoyed this drama but at times I did find some of the characters really frustrating, to be honest only 2 of the characters frustrated me at times and also got on my nerves and that was Oh Hani and Bong Joon Gu, I couldn't understand how they couldn't tell how selfish their actions were at times, but even with all that I was still rooting for Hani and Seung Jo and hoping that she would eventually end up with him. There were times in the series that I felt my heart sinking into my stomach for Hani and even felt myself getting nervous on her behalf but I think that just shows how good the actors and story is to make the audience feel included but that could also be because I love a good romance drama and it's just a bonus when there is comedy thrown in there too. I loved a majority of the outfits they used and I would have worn them myself but there were times when some of the hairstyles were questionable but I guessed it's lasted the test of time and shows how things in fashion etc has progressed in the last 7 years. This series is available on Netflix, which for me was good as it meant I could chill out in bed and watch a couple of episodes, that's if I didn't get too hooked and needed to watch the next episode to see how it progressed from the last episodes cliffhanger.

Back in April when I posted about my first Korean Drama Missing 9, I listed some of the dramas I wanted to watch, which were Goblin, Hwarang, Who Are You, Descendants of the Sun and Scarlet Heart: Ryeo, I have subscribed to another drama website called Viki, which I have been able to watch some of the dramas that weren't available for me to watch on Drama Fever. One of the dramas OST that I've mentioned still brings tears to my eyes and has become my favourite drama ever.

Have you watched Playful Kiss?
Were you a fan?
Can you recommend more Korean dramas for me?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!




안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment