Monday 24 July 2017

Seventeen - 17 Carat

Hello
안녕하세요 
(Annyeonghaseyo)
こんにちは 
(Konnichiwa)
你好
(Ni Hao)



Back in November last year (2016), I introduced you to a group called Seventeen and shared with you their repackaged album on their first full length album Love & Letter. If you're not familiar with Seventeen here's a little recap, Seventeen are a 13 member boy group formed in 2015 by Pledis Entertainment, the group splits into 3 sub-unit groups, which are the vocal unit, the hip-hop unit and the performance unit.

Now I'm going to take you back to their debut days back in 2015, 17 Carat is their debut mini album and to highlight their debut from the 2nd of May till the 26th of May 2015 a reality series was aired on MBC titled Seventeen Project: Big Debut Plan, which concluded with a live debut showcase. Teasers were released for the show as well as the members and the group as a whole.
Owned by Pledis & MBC
S.Coups
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Hoshi
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Jeonghan
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Vernon
Owned by Pledis & MBC
The8
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Woozi
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Mingyu
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Wonwoo
Owned by Pledis & MBC
DK
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Seungkwan
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Jun
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Dino
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Joshua
Owned by Pledis & MBC
Owned by Pledis & MBC
On the 26th of May 2015 Seventeen made their debut with a live showcase which was televised by MBC, they were the first male K-pop group to debut with a 1-hour live showcase on a major broadcasting channel. On the 29th of May 2015 the M/V was released for their debut single 아낀다 (Adore U), on the same day their debut mini album 17 Carat was released both digitally and physically.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
아낀다 (Adore U) marks the beginning of their trilogy composed of singles from their first 3 releases and the choreography for 아낀다 (Adore U) was choreographed by member Hoshi.
On the 7th of June 2015, {Special Video} 아낀다 (Adore U) Dance + Mashup Ver. was released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
On the 19th of June 2015, {Dance Practise} 아낀다 (Adore U) Fixed Cam Ver. was released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
On the 20th of June 2015, {Dance Practise} 아낀다 (Adore U) Follow Me Ver. was released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
On the 29th of June 2015, {Special Video} 아낀다 (Adore U) Part Switch Ver. released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
On the 21st of August 2015, {Special Video} 아낀다 (Adore U) Acoustic Ver. released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment
On the 29th of August 2015, {Special Video} 아낀다 (Adore U) Performance Ver. released.
Owned by Pledis Entertainment

Seventeen have gained the nickname of the self-producing idol group as all the members are deeply involved in the composition and production of their songs and albums. 
Woozi co-wrote on all 5 tracks on 17 Carat as well as helping to co-compose on 4 of the tracks.
S.Coups helped to co-write on 3 of the tracks: Shining Diamond, 아낀다 (Adore U) and Ah Yeah.
Vernon helped to co-write on 4 of the tracks: Shining Diamond, 아낀다 (Adore U), Ah Yeah and Jam Jam.
Wonwoo and Mingyu participated on Ah Yeah.
Hoshi and Dino participated on Jam Jam.

아낀다 (Adore U) sold more than 38,000 digital copies and peaked at No.13 on the Billboard World Chart, 17 Carat also became the longest-charting K-pop album of the year in the US and was the only rookie album to appear on the Billboard 10 Best K-pop Albums of 2015.
The mini album peaked at No.4 on the Gaon Albums Chart, No.263 on the Oricon Albums Chart, No.17 on the Five Music (Taiwan) Albums Chart and No.8 on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
Gaon Sales:
78,468+
Oricon Sales:
2,248+
A total of 80,716+ copies sold.
The 아낀다 (Adore U) M/V so far has gained 19,099,600 million views and continues to increase each day.

The album is set out quite simple, the album overall is in a card slipcase, with the Cd in a paper slip case and a fold-out poster with the lyrics for the tracks on the reverse. There are also 2 sets of photo cards available a white version and a black version, each set are random.

Track List:
Shining Diamond
아낀다 (Adore U)
Ah Yeah
Jam Jam
20

















I'm not a big fan of the packaging for this album, I always like to read the lyrics when I'm listening to an album for the first time and with this one I didn't even attempt because I didn't want to mess about with folding the poster back up, even though I have to do that after getting to the Cd. I also now pop the Cd between the poster and the card with the track list on so I can just let it slip out when I open the top tab. I got the black photo card set and I love that each card has their signature as well as their names so you can get to know who is who. In my last post on Seventeen I said how 아주 NICE(Very Nice) was my favourite title track from them, well they've recently had a comeback and I can honestly say their latest title track knocked 아주 NICE(Very Nice) off the top spot, it's not been until their latest comeback either that I've really started paying attention to them, I wouldn't class myself as a Carat but I do fangirl over them, I'm also able to put more names to faces, back in November (2016) I could only point out 4 members, but now the only members I tend to struggle with are Wonwoo and Mingyu as they look really similar to me but I'm getting there and also Dino and Hoshi, I'm sure the switch will click soon and I'll be able to put names to faces. Right back to this mini album, I'm really gutted that the packaging does not do this album justice because this mini album is such an amazing debut album, it may not be my favourite album from Seventeen but it's still just as good as all their other releases, each track is different showcasing different members (I love that they always have tracks from the units on each album). I honestly can't think of Seventeen and 17 Carat without hearing "slip into the diamond life".
It's time to check out the tracks and "slip into the diamond life".

Ah Yeah

Jam Jam

20

Shining Diamond

아낀다 (Adore U)

My bias remains to be Jeonghan even though he did chop off his long locks, which is one of the reasons I adored him, but as with other groups I can never just have 1 bias, Jeonghan is my UB for Seventeen and then Joshua, Jun and Woozi are my other biases, I'm sure more will be added as I get even more into them.

Who is your Seventeen bias?
Do you have more than 1 bias?
What did you think of the 17 Carat packaging?
What's your favourite track from 17 Carat?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


안녕
(Annyeong)
さようなら
(Sayonara)
再见
(ZaiJian)
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment