Tuesday 5 April 2016

Cooking: Fish Stew With Cider

Hello
An nyeoung
Konnichiwa
Ni hao


I've not done a cooking post for a while so thought I'd share a recipe that I've recently tried and enjoyed making. I originally made this dish for an early valentines day meal for myself and Andrew and I was surprised by how easy it was to make and how tasty it was. So lets get cooking!

Ingredients:
2tsp butter
1 large leek, thinly sliced
2 shallots, finely chopped
125ml dry cider
300ml fish stock
250g potatoes, diced
1 bay leaf
4tbsp plain flour
200ml milk
200ml double cream
350g skinless monkfish or cod fillet, cut into pieces
salt and pepper

First I chopped up the leek and shallots.

Then I chopped my potatoes.

Lastly I cut the fish into pieces ready for when I needed it.

I then melted 2 tsp of butter in a large pan over a medium-low heat, then added the leek and shallots and cooked for 5 minutes.

I stirred them occasionally and after the 5 minutes I added the cider and brought to a boil.

Next I stirred in the fish stock, potatoes and bay leaf, I brought it all back to a boil and then reduced the heat, covered the pan and left to cook gently for 10 minutes.

While cooking for the 10 minutes I made a flour and milk mixture. I put the flour in a small bowl and slowly whisked in a few tablespoons of milk to make a thick paste. I then added a little more milk to make a smooth liquid.

After 10 minutes I adjusted the heat so the stew bubbled gently. I then added the flour mixture to the pan and and stirred and cooked for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally


After 5 minutes I added the remaining milk and half of the double cream and continue to let it cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes were tender.

In the original recipe it said to add chopped fresh sorrel leaves but I couldn't find any so I used parsley and then combined it with the remaining cream, then add to the pan along with the chopped fish.

Then continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Lastly taste the stew and add salt and pepper if required.

Finally ladle the stew into bowls and serve.

This is a dish I will continue to cook in the future and so far has been enjoyed by everyone who I've cooked it for. When I first made this dish I was scared it would have a really fishy taste and smell but was pleasantly surprised that that wasn't the case.
Have you tried this recipe?
Let me know in the comments below.

See you soon!


An nyeoung
Sayonara
Zai Jian
Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment