Monday 14 September 2015

Girls Generation - 5 - Lion Heart/You Think

Hello
An nyoung 
Konnichiwa
Ni hao


(google images)


You thought we'd done with Girls Generation didn't you? well August saw the release of their 5th Korean album and their first album without Jessica, it's not their first official release without Jessica as that happened with the release of their Japanese single Catch Me If You Can but we'll visit that at a later date in a later post along with their PARTY single.

So after 1 year and 6 months after their last official Korean release and 2 years and 7 months since their last full length Korean album the girls were making their return and they did it with a bang. A teaser was released confirming their comeback into the K-pop world with not one song but three upcoming comeback songs titled: PARTY, Lion Heart and You Think. The teaser blew my mind, check out the teaser below and comment which would be your to watch track on first impressions.

Owned by SM Entertainment.

When this teaser was released it was already revealed that Party! would be the girls first single to give them a summer comeback but the song and MV I was the most excited for was You Think, my jaw literally dropped at how bad-ass they looked and it reminded me a mix between Bad Girl, The Boys and I Got A Boy with how fierce they were giving it.

The Girls comeback started at the start of July with their summer track PARTY which has a bubblegum pop feel to it. On the third of July SM released another teaser to keep the excitement high for the girls return, revealing more of the track and MV, check it out below.

Owned by SM Entertainment.

Four days later SM Entertainment dropped the full length MV, filmed in Ko Samui, Thailand this MV gave Girls Generation a few firsts in the 8 year history 1: they filmed wearing swimwear and 2: this is their first song singing about alcohol and having it in the MV, they've made it no secret that they all like to have a drink. I love this song it definitely gives me the party feels and I could imagine myself lying on a beach, cocktail in hand listening to this song. The styling in the video is amazing making each member stand out and the hairstyles, Sunny's long red locks took many by surprise and leaving everyone speechless, she was dubbed mermaid Sunny. I thought I would miss HyoYeon's long blonde hair but she rocked her bob giving her a fresh new look. I love TaeYeon's and YonnA's bright blue contacts they make their faces even more striking suiting them perfectly with their hair. Ko Samui is now on my dream holiday destination, the beach, sea, sky and palm tree's just look breath taking especially with how blue the sea and sky are, the MV in general is just full of bright colours. Many people compared the song to Katy Perry's California Girls, the background beat definitely gives it that feel but it was definitely my summer anthem.

Hey girls, do you know what time it is? It must be party time. Here we go!
Owned by SM Entertainment.

SM dropped two more teasers on the 14th and 15th of August announcing the second half of Girls Generation's comeback was nearing with the teasers for the Lion Heart and You Think MV's revealing more of the Lion Heart track whereas the You Think teaser kept the track out and just teasing images of the girls, check them out below.

Owned by SM Entertainment.

Owned by SM Entertainment.

The teasers kept on coming with SM releasing images taken from the album and then revealing the track list. On the 18th of August SM released the first six songs from the album along with the first title track Lion Heart at 12pm Korean time (4am for me) and also dropping the MV for Lion Heart.
What can I say about this song, let me start by saying how gobsmacked I was the song I was least excited for became my favourite comeback song. I adore the MV it's colourful, pretty and also funny. The styling has to be my favourite, dressing them in all retro style clothing giving them all a pin-up look, for me YoonA, TaeYeon and SeoHyun pull of the look best as it really suits them. The song is bubblegum pop with a retro feel, I could see the girls back in the day stood on stage giving their all with an old fashioned mic. The story of the MV is basically all the girls being played by the same guy and him leaving notes on when and where to meet him, when it is revealed to the girls he's been playing them all they get their revenge. Check out the MV below, keep an eye out for the jaw dropping and and eyebrow raising move in the second chorus.

Ladies y'all know what I'm talking about right? (yeah)
Owned by SM Entertainment.

On the 19th of August SM released the second half of the album including the second title track You Think at 12am Korean time (4pm for me) and also dropped the MV for You Think.
This song was everything I hoped for and expected it to be, it was hard, fast and fierce from start to finish. Whereas in my opinion Lion Heart was for the female Sones, You Think is definitely for the male Sones. On first listen like many I was surprised by all their vocals especially Sunny's, if a voice can have sex appeal hers did, I was also surprised what seemed to be YoonA's no solo part which was later revealed after a few listens she appears in choruses, even though her voice was a little hard to hear, the goddess is definitely there. Another surprised moment for me and many others was in the MV when our Maknae (youngest) SeoHyun dropped into those splits, she's gone from the cute youngest member to a hot, sexy, mature woman, she's definitely one to watch. I love the dark and dangerous concept that the MV seems to give off for this song, showing that they aren't girls you want to mess with. The song is a powerful Hip Hop song that shows it in each members vocals and my favourite part has to be SooYoung and HyoYeon's rap they should be the groups official rappers, all I can say is mind blown, watch for moments: chorus dance, dance breakdown, SeoHyun's splits and SooYoung and HyoYeon's rap.

Boy, you ain't cooler than me.
Owned by SM Entertainment.

The album was released in two version the Lion Heart version was released first on the 19th of August and it's the copy I have, the You Think version was released the 26th of August and you all know I will be buying this version too, the You Think version seems to follow a darker concept with some pictures looking like they are from another world. The Lion Heart version follows the theme of the MV giving it a Vintage and Retro look, the pictures as to be expected are beautifully styled and posed. The album is set out like a hardback book with the pages being full of pictures with the lyrics mixed in for good measure, the pictures are mainly full of individual member shots with the exception of for group shots including the cover. The album featured two preciously released tracks: Check which was on the PARTY single and a Korean version of their Japanese song Show Girls, when the track list was released many were confused by a track titled Talk Talk thinking they had re done a track that was on their I Got A Boy album removing Jessica's vocals but it in fact turned out to be a brand new track. 

Track List:
Lion Heart
You Think
PARTY
어펀 오후 (One Afternoon)
Show Girls
Fire Alarm
Talk Talk
Green Light
Paradise
Check
Sign
예감 (Bump It)

front cover





track list

YoonA

L-R
Tiffany & TaeYeon

SooYoung

Lion Heart Lyrics

TaeYeon

L-R
YuRi & SeoHyun

L-R
Sunny & HyoYeon

TaeYeon

You Think lyrics

YoonA

SeoHyun

L-R
YuRi & Tiffany

PARTY lyrics

Sunny

L-R
YuRi & Tiffany

L-R
Sunny & SooYoung

HyoYeon

One Afternoon lyrics

YuRi

Sunny

L-R
YoonA & SeoHyun

HyoYeon

L-R
Tiffany & TaeYeon

Talk Talk lyrics

SooYoung

L-R
SeoHyun & YuRi

Green Light lyrics

SeoHyun

L-R
TaeYeon & YoonA

SooYoung

L-R
SooYoung & HyoYeon

Paradise lyrics

HyoYeon

L-R
YoonA & Tiffany

Check lyrics

Sunny

Sign & Bump It lyrics





album credits

back of album


This album is the best they have ever put out and is my favourite Girls Generation album, it's just a shame it took Jessica's removal to bring out this masterpiece. I normally have a list of the tracks that stand out to me but with this album each track is a good as the last, the only fault I have with this album is that I personally feel that PARTY would have fitted better on a different album and I wouldn't be surprised if they also made it a Japanese track. 


Lion Heart


You Think

PARTY

어펀 오후 (One Afternoon)


Show Girls

Fire Alarm

Talk Talk

Green Light

Paradise

Check

Sign

예감 (Bump It)

I forgot about my little extra with this album like with a few other albums I have got this album also came with a photo card and I got YoonA looking like a goddess in her Lion Heart outfit, Seeing this card I can definitely see why she is given the nickname goddess and why she is Girls Generation's visual. Just the wait and see now if they will release another Japanese album and the excitement has started for TaeYeon's first solo album in October, Tiffany's first solo album in November and Girls Generation-TTS third release in December. Whose are you looking forward to and is there any sub-unit or solo albums you would like to see from Girls Generation.



See you soon!


An nyoung 
Sayonara 
Zai Jian 
Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment