Tuesday 28 July 2015

Cooking: Coconut Prawn Curry

Hello 
An nyoung 
Konnichiwa 
Ni hao 

It's another one of my cooking posts and this one is a recipe I found in a Slimming World magazine, this post is only the second time I've cooked it so I hope you cook it along with me and enjoy it. Shall we get started?


Ingredients:
175g dried Jasmine rice
1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander 
1 green chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
1 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger 
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
A small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Finely grated zest & juice of 1 lime
150g sugar snap peas 
150g baby corn 
100ml coconut milk 
300ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp dark soy sauce 
250g raw, peeled prawns 


I started off preparing the rice, I'm not the best when it comes to rice so I always weigh it out to make sure it's right. I added the rice and boiling water from the kettle to a pan and then let it cook.

While the rice was cooking I added the ground cumin, ground coriander, chopped green chilli, grated ginger, lime zest, lime juice, chopped garlic and fresh coriander to a bowl and made into a paste with a handheld mixer (that helps with soups), I quickly swapped my bowl for a jug as it kept going all over the work surface.


When the rice was ready and cooked I put the rice in a sieve to drain the water and while the rice was draining I added olive oil to a wok and fried the sugar snap peas and baby corn for 1 minute and then added the paste/liquid, coconut milk, vegetable stock and soy sauce brought it to the boil then lowered the heat and let simmer for 7 minutes.


After 7 minutes I then added the prawns and let it cook for another 7 minutes.

Once the prawns were pink and cooked for 7 minutes it was time to plate it all up. I placed the rice in the centre of the plate and then using a slotted spoon added the prawns, sugar snap peas and the baby corn on and around the rice then ladled the sauce over the rice, prawns and veg and added a wedge of lime on the side.


Both times I have cooked this dish it doesn't seem to go as it is in the picture my sauce is always darker but it gives me an Asian dish feeling maybe it's because the curry sauce looks like it does in Anime's. It tastes gorgeous and I always feel my rice tastes rather bland but squeezing the lime over it gives it more of a fresh and tangy taste. 

I'm hoping to start alternating my cooking and baking posts each week so I can keep creating new things for you guys and also so my skills don't go rusty.
See you soon! 


An nyoung 
Sayonara 
Zai Jian 
Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment